Sunday, November 29, 2009

Davies Chuck wagon breakfast...

There's this restaurant that I've driven past a hundred times called Davies. As you can see from the picture the sign really catches your eye. Not to mention the fact that there is a big horse stature on top of the restaurant. I forgot to get a picture of it, sorry! Anyhow, every time I drive by I think that place is either amazing or scary and next time my brother David comes to visit I am so taking him there. I recently heard from a co-worker that it's a great greasy spoon kind of restaurant, so Jesse and I decided to check it out for breakfast yesterday. It's a total 1950s time warp dinner. Makes you think you're on the east coast in the 50s for sure. The food was good and fast, the waitresses are either teenagers or senior citizens. It's got a big counter in the front and not much space else wear, but boy was it popular. After reading over the menu I discovered a couple things. It was actually built in 1957. It was shipped to it's current location by rail car from New Jersey (explains the 1950's east coast feel). They say it's the only one this far west. In 1997 it was put on the historical registry. It's an actual historical landmark. Crazy! Oh and they say they have tenderloin sandwiches. To you Iowans this is not anything new, but here in Denver it is almost impossible to find a tenderloin sandwich and you definitely can't find one as good as the one from Menlo's cafe. My fingers are crossed that this one is good. Someday we'll go back and try it. Anyhow the food was rather inexpensive and very tasty and the atmosphere was something to see. Next time someone comes to visit us I think we'll take them there for breakfast.

No comments: