
While we were in Texas Jesse's brother-in-law introduced us to the wonderful world of Kolaches when he bought a variety pack and served them to us for breakfast. They were oh so tasty and from that point on we were sort of hooked. Jesse more so than me, but I do love them too. Apparently they are big in Texas, but we had never heard of them before. Fast forward to just over a week ago. I was driving down Wadsworth Ave not more than 2 miles from our house when I spotted a Kolache Factory. I of course called Jesse right away and we decided that some day we would go there for breakfast. Well we did on Saturday before I had to head to work and apparently Jesse was so thrilled with his polish sausage Kolache breakfast that we had to go again this morning. Don't worry this will not become an everyday experience, but boy are they ever good. While doing a little research online I discovered that the Kolache Factory is a Texas based chain that has just recently started to spread it's reach through out the US. There is one in Colorado (close to home, yes!), one in Kansas, and one in Indiana while the rest currently reside in the state of Texas. Apparently Montgomery, Minnesota is known as the Kolache Capital of the World even though these treats are of Eastern European descent. For those of you who are curious Iowans I also found out that the Catholic Church in Cedar Rapids, Iowa holds a big Kolache Festival the 1st full weekend in June. I highly recommend checking them out. Per my mom's suggestion I think I am going to look into making my own. Hopefully mine are half as good as the real deal. The local Kolache Factory also got some big props from our friends at Westword. Check it out... Kolache Factory Lakewood, Co.
1 comment:
i've never heard of these, but the picture reminds me of something that the cafeteria here at work serves occassionally for breakfast-- they're called Eppi Rolls, and its sausage & cheese filling stuffed in a huge bread roll thing. very delicious.
Post a Comment