Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Moonlighting with Monsters...

In an effort to do something creative every weekend we are trying to come up with new crafts to challenge us, so this weekend we chose to make a stuffed animal. Bare in mind that I haven't sewn more than a small hole in a clothing item in years and Jesse has well never sewn. Oh, I take that back he told me tonight that the last time he sewed something was a wind sock in his middle school home ec class. Anyhow... We have a sewing machine, but no needle and no place to  put it really so we ended up sewing it all by hand. Jesse got the idea after drawing adorable little monsters on an envelope for his nephew's 2nd birthday. He drew up a rough pattern and we went to work. It wasn't until after he made the pattern and we cut the fabric that I realized we didn't really leave room for a seam allowance. Oops! I showed Jesse the basics of simple sewing and we haphazardly slapped together a Monster from his sketches. Lucky for Jesse that I'm still a bit of a pack rat, especially when it comes to craft supplies. I had random fabric from my days at Michaels and almost every color of thread imaginable from my great grandma's old sewing kit. Our poor monster turned out to be bow legged and scrawny armed, but he's still pretty cute if you ask me. Obviously we have more to learn about pattern making, but I think we did a pretty good job for our first attempt. You be the judge...

Sketch

Finished Product

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's SO cute! Love it! It's even more cute that you guys did this together!!! Love ya!!!


Kristin

turtleknees said...

Like I said on Facebook I love it and I need two, consider that your first order. I also love that you two made it together. Maybe you can incorporate your volunteer work with this somehow I believe kids love monsters most of the time.